Making cake from scratch isn’t difficult, but sometimes you may want to whip up a cake in a hurry. Boxed cake mixes are a real life saver, then even if they don’t live up to flavor and texture of made-from-scratch cakes. However, there are lots of easy ways to improve ready made cake mixes. Here are a handful of ideas:
* Substitute something for the water. Buttermilk is a good choice for any type of cake, but you can also try strongly brewed coffee or Kahlua in a chocolate cake, fruit juice in a yellow cake, or 2 cups of melted ice cream, for the water and fat in any flavor cake.
* Use butter instead of oil. Melt one stick in the microwave, let it cool, and stir it in.
* Add extract. Try 1 teaspoon of real vanilla, or ½ teaspoon of any other extract.
* Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, and/or lesser amounts of nutmeg, allspice, ginger, or cloves.
* Add the zest from a lemon, lime, or orange. Just a little will do the trick.
* Make a berry flavored cake by adding up to 1 cup of pureed berries of any type. This also works with peaches, apricots, and bananas.
* Add ¼ cup of mayonnaise, for a super moist cake.
* Turn yellow cake mix into an orange cake by replacing the water with orange juice or orange liquor.
* If boxed cake mixes seem too sweet to you, add ¼ teaspoon of salt or 1 teaspoon lemon juice to the batter.
* Add chopped nuts, or chunked pineapple, frozen berries, preserves, or chocolate or peanut butter chips to the batter.
* Try this recipe: 1 box cake mix of any flavor, 1 (3 oz.) box instant pudding (don’t use fat free), 2 eggs, and 2 cups milk. Bake as directed on mix box. For best results, separate the eggs and whip the whites until they are almost stiff, then slowly add the eggs to the rest of the batter.
* Or try this recipe: 1 box cake mix of any flavor, 1 (3 oz.) box instant pudding (don’t use fat free), 4 eggs, 1 cup sour cream, and ½ cup oil. Bake as directed on the box.
* Use homemade frosting. Store bought is extremely sweet, and finishing off even an ordinary boxed mix cake with homemade frosting makes a huge difference in the finished product. Try our Chocolate Frosting recipe, for example.
For more great information on cakes, visit our sister site Everything-Cake.com.
Gourmet recipes at your finger tips...