« | »

How to Make Boxed Cake Mix Better

Making cake from scratch isn’t difficult, but sometimes you may want to whip up a cake in a hurry. Boxed cake mixes are a real life saver, then – even if they don’t live up to flavor and texture of made-from-scratch cakes. However, there are lots of easy ways to improve ready made cake mixes. Here are a handful of ideas:

* Substitute something for the water. Buttermilk is a good choice for any type of cake, but you can also try strongly brewed coffee or Kahlua in a chocolate cake, fruit juice in a yellow cake, or 2 cups of melted ice cream, for the water and fat in any flavor cake.

* Use butter instead of oil. Melt one stick in the microwave, let it cool, and stir it in.

* Add extract. Try 1 teaspoon of real vanilla, or ½ teaspoon of any other extract.

* Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, and/or lesser amounts of nutmeg, allspice, ginger, or cloves.

* Add the zest from a lemon, lime, or orange. Just a little will do the trick.

* Make a berry flavored cake by adding up to 1 cup of pureed berries of any type. This also works with peaches, apricots, and bananas.

* Add ¼ cup of mayonnaise, for a super moist cake.

* Turn yellow cake mix into an orange cake by replacing the water with orange juice or orange liquor.

* If boxed cake mixes seem too sweet to you, add ¼ teaspoon of salt or 1 teaspoon lemon juice to the batter.

* Add chopped nuts, or chunked pineapple, frozen berries, preserves, or chocolate or peanut butter chips to the batter.

* Try this recipe: 1 box cake mix of any flavor, 1 (3 oz.) box instant pudding (don’t use fat free), 2 eggs, and 2 cups milk. Bake as directed on mix box. For best results, separate the eggs and whip the whites until they are almost stiff, then slowly add the eggs to the rest of the batter.

* Or try this recipe: 1 box cake mix of any flavor, 1 (3 oz.) box instant pudding (don’t use fat free), 4 eggs, 1 cup sour cream, and ½ cup oil. Bake as directed on the box.

* Use homemade frosting. Store bought is extremely sweet, and finishing off even an ordinary boxed mix cake with homemade frosting makes a huge difference in the finished product. Try our Chocolate Frosting recipe, for example.

For more great information on cakes, visit our sister site Everything-Cake.com.

Posted by on March 14, 2012.

Tags: ,

Categories: Cooking, Recipes

11 Responses

1. I would say this blog is a lot helpful than the ones that I’ve visited. Boxed cake is a ready made mixture which have a distinct taste or flavor that doesn’t give the longing taste that every individual should be expecting because it is preserved. These add-on are great and worth trying and even a novice cook could make it. Thanks for this post, it is really a big help.

by Dulce on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:41 am

2. Thank you, Kristina for sharing your wonderful ideas. This post really helped me save a lot of time, effort and money. It never crossed my mind that adding something to readymade cake mixes can be possible. I’m pretty sure that my kids would love something new from the usual readymade cake mixes. I’d make them try all the ideas posted here just to expand their taste buds!

by Sally on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:48 am

3. Impressive! Before I read your article, a friend of mine told me her secret why her children always request for a readymade cake mix and she told me that she adds French vanilla frosting to the finished product. I tried her idea and you know what, it does taste great! I’ll try to mix and match your ideas for me to come up with a better one. Thank you!

by Evangeline on Mar 15, 2012 at 10:51 am

4. I don’t usually use oil whenever I bake cake, in fact I’m used to using butter and it’s good to find that method here on this post. The other steps are new to me, actually so I might find it hard to start with. I’ll be printing these for my experiment in making a boxed cake mix better. It seems your reference page for Chocolate Frosting recipe is lacking in details. It doesn’t have any instructions and I don’t know how to start. Can you post the instructions here?

by Wally on Mar 16, 2012 at 7:44 am

5. Big thumbs up for this blog post! This is such an impressive share! I even gave this recipe to a friend and in return she gave me a treat. I really feel strongly about this and love reading more on this topic. You instantly got my attention here. I’m sure I’ll be told many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

by Keana on Mar 21, 2012 at 5:47 pm

6. Your blog posts never cease to amaze me, Kristina! I’m always happy about how things turn out whenever I try your recommendations or tips. For this one, I must say that turning a yellow cake into an orange one really pleased my kids. It’s my youngest daughter’s favorite color, and she wants to bake “orange cake” every weekend now. Thank you so much for all your helpful tips and tricks!

by Trixy on Mar 23, 2012 at 6:42 pm

7. I never used oil before for my cakes; I always use butter, maybe for the thought that it will be tastier… I don’t know :D. But sometimes it turned out to be a mess. I will definitely try every tip you listed here for my next cake. I hope it helps! Thank you!

by Crystal on Mar 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm

8. Substitution is a good way to experiment when cooking. I do this not just for cakes, but for other dishes too! My pancakes are always prepared with milk instead of water. For those who haven’t tried this or any of Kristina’s tips, make sure you do soon!

by Jasmine on Mar 25, 2012 at 10:37 pm

9. I made blue cake or as my daughter would like to call it, Smurf cake. I followed your tip by mixing in blended blueberries and buttermilk to the butter. Absolutely delicious! And smells so good too!

by Sadie on Mar 26, 2012 at 10:36 pm

10. Great tips! Now, all I have to do is be very careful in following these one or more of these tips on which kind of cakes… :)

by Angel on Mar 27, 2012 at 4:38 pm

11. The water replacement tip is a very good one. I’d like to try them especially the brewed coffee in chocolate cake… Mmmm… exciting!

by Rose on Mar 28, 2012 at 4:37 pm