« | »

Alternatives to Pizza Crust

Love pizza? Don’t want to spend the money (or time) on take out? Don’t want to bother making a pizza crust? Have I got some ideas for you!

NOTE: Unless otherwise noted, all of these alternative pizza crusts work best if toasted lightly before adding sauce or toppings.

English Muffins. Divide an English muffin in half. Toast lightly. Add pizza sauce and toppings and bake until the cheese melts.

Pita Bread. Use whole wheat pitas for the healthiest meal. Don’t use the pockets or divide the pita in half.

Thick Tortillas. Any kind works, although whole wheat tortillas seem to hold up the best. Corn tortillas have a tendency to fall apart once you put sauce on.

Thin Sandwich Bread. Have you seen those round, very thin pieces of bread designed for sandwiches? They are a favorite among dieters because they have fewer calories (due to their thinness). These work for pizza, too!

Mushrooms. Large portabella mushrooms are a super-healthy alternative to pizza crust! You don’t have to toast them before putting on pizza sauce, but you could try roasting them lightly.

Hamburger Buns. Whole wheat is healthiest, but any kind will do.

French Loaves. Any type of French loaf bread, split in half lengthwise, makes a superb pizza “crust.” Feeling indulgent? Use the frozen type with garlic butter in it.

Cauliflower. No, really. Cauliflower can be made to taste like almost anything. Cook some frozen cauliflower according to the directions on the package. Allow to cool slightly, then grate it. You’ll want 1 cup to make a single pizza “crust.” (Freeze any leftovers). Combine the shredded cauliflower with 1 beaten egg and 1 cup shredded mozzarella. Spray a baking sheet and press the cauliflower mixture onto the pan, forming a “crust.” Sprinkle with herbs, like oregano, thyme, and parsley. Bake for 13 minutes, or until golden. Add sauce and toppings and pop back into the oven until the cheese is melted.

Zucchini. Perhaps even more so than cauliflower, zucchini takes on the flavor of whatever you season it with. Combine 2 cups shredded zucchini (no need to take off the skin first), 2 beaten eggs, ¼ cup of flour, ½ cup shredded mozzarella, ½ cup shredded parmesan, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with herbs. Spray a baking sheet and press the zucchini “curst” into the pan. Bake in a preheated 400 degree F. oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Add toppings and place back in the oven until the cheese melts.

Posted by on April 13, 2012.

Tags:

Categories: Cooking

21 Responses

1. I’ve always used sandwich bread and burger buns to make fun-sized pizza for my kids. Thanks for adding up to my list of pizza crust alternatives!

by Vicki on Apr 14, 2012 at 10:47 am

2. So far the easiest way to satisfy your pizza craving! I really love pizza; sometimes I’d wake up in the middle of the night and want a piece of pizza, INSTANTLY! Now, I can just go to the kitchen and make myself one. :) I love this article!

by Valerie on Apr 14, 2012 at 11:05 am

3. I find the cauliflower and zucchini pizza dough very interesting. I’m not sure if my family, including my husband who’s a picky eater will like it. Still, I’m going to try these just to satisfy my curiosity. Thank you for sharing this with us!

by Beatrice on Apr 14, 2012 at 12:06 pm

4. Actually I am already doing these kinds of tips especially if I am in a hectic budget – I usually use pita bread, hamburger buns and thin sandwich breads in our home made pizza. It tastes the same with the commercial ones! The only difference – it is less cheap than the other one. But I haven’t tried using mushroom as the pizza crust. Gotta try!

by Candace on Apr 15, 2012 at 11:41 am

5. Hey, this is nice and i can create my own pizza and can save budget at the same time! Sprinkled with herbs? I don’t like it really… but I’m willing to try so I prepare other toppings (a little bit of herb) and with melted cheeses on top. Yum!

by Yolanda on Apr 15, 2012 at 12:43 pm

6. Wow this is incredible, I love making pita bread and I’d love to try making it into a pizza. Great… a new discovery for me. Thanks Kristina, always loved your blogs…:D

by Pauline on Apr 15, 2012 at 12:59 pm

7. I always make my pizzas on flatbread and I love it. It says 16 carbs but you subtract the fiber from it since it can be cancelled it out, making it 7 carbs all in all. What a diet! :)

by Drey on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:13 am

8. OMG, thank you for posting this! I’m on week one of trying to lose weight and I am wanting pizza really terribly. I could eat pizza every day of the week…maybe that’s part of the reason I’m overweight. lol

by Madeline on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:15 am

9. This is also an alternative for someone taking care of their health; alternative crust pizza helps us to lessen the calories that we can have while enjoying our fave pizza! This is good news for those people that are eager to eat pizza without any doubt of how much calories that this new twist of pizza can bring to them.

by Rhoda on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:18 am

10. This is wonderful. It never entered my mind that those alternatives would be great for a pizza crust. It will now be very easy to make a pizza using those substitutes. Very impressive Kristina! Thanks.

by Lydia on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:30 pm

11. Mushrooms, cauliflower and zucchini? Wow, that’s some unusual (yet intriguing) things to know as alternative. Hmmm…which should I try first? :)

by Kay on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:39 pm

12. Simple yet delicious, makes it an ideal snack to make in a hurry. It came out soooo well, especially considering it was my first attempt on making an Egg Pakora! I can’t thank you enough, my dear! :)

by Victoria on Apr 17, 2012 at 11:40 pm

13. Your blog posts never fail to amuse me. I even make it a point to check on it before I open my email account, haha! This will make our summer much more interesting. I’ll try out these alternatives for the weekends to come, and hopefully my kids will enjoy the healthier ones too.

by Carmen on Apr 18, 2012 at 6:04 am

14. I do love pizza so much! So, I always ask my mom to bring me one when she gets home from work. Not every day of course, but most of the time. :D I never thought I can use those alternatives for my pizza crust. It is interesting! Maybe, I’ll have it a try. Making my own unique pizza is definitely wonderful! I can put the ingredients that I want into it!

by Norbert on Apr 24, 2012 at 6:23 am

15. I haven’t thought of these ideas before, as I always use pita breads, hamburger buns or sandwich breads whenever I don’t have any pizza crust on my kitchen, but I was amazed that there are a lot of options that you can choose from! Glad that I found them, thanks! But, wait I was curious about the cauliflower and zucchini, really? I might as well try before I bug the person on my side. :D

by Latisha on May 12, 2012 at 1:07 am

16. Alternatives like this are one useful thing I really want to learn. It is not only easy to make and conserves a lot of time but it is also healthy food to make for pizza crust. I truly want to have a try on those for my family. They will certainly be surprise about it. :)

by Noreen on May 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

17. Interesting! I haven’t tried trying any of these before… Well even think of an alternative for dough never gets inside my mind. LOL!! This is definitely very useful information… And not only that! It will save a lot of time making your own pizza using those foods. Great article Kristina!

by lyla on Jun 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm

18. Love those alternatives for pizza crust .. Those foods are lots easier to do than making dough. I was really amazed that you have come up with such wonderful ideas that are definitely amazing!! I can’t even imagine that those things are fit to make as a pizza crust.

by Bianca on Jun 14, 2012 at 2:22 am

19. I really love pizza. And this article is a big help for me! I can now save money and time for now I’ve learned the alternatives for pizza crust… I can now make some pizza made of buns and sandwiches and I can experiment too on the flavor I want . . Cauliflower, Mushrooms and Zucchini is very intriguing I want to try this it looks delicious and Nutritious. Thanks for sharing this wonderful article! Keep on posting!

by mildred on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:57 pm

20. I really love pizza. In fact, I was really searching for a different tips or procedures that I can used to prepare some. And I’m glad I saw this. Thanks for this blog! It can really help.

by khim on Jun 29, 2012 at 10:22 pm

21. This is another great tip for me in preparing a pizza. Those are another version of the pizza recipes that
    I prepared earlier. I was happy to see this one. I should do this one the next time my friends come for a visit. Thanks for posting this! I will continually view your site!

by angel on Jun 29, 2012 at 10:25 pm