« | »

DIY Spice Blends

DIY spice blends are healthier and cheaper.

If you’ve ever been in the middle of preparing dinner only to discover you were unexpectedly out of a certain spice mix needed to make it, you’ll understand why making your own spice blends is a fantastic thing to learn. Plus, making DIY spice mixes are much cheaper. Read on for complete details on how to make some of the most popular spice mixes around.

Montreal Steak Seasoning

This spice blend is the go-to seasoning for many chefs. It’s terrific on any type of meat.

4 tablespoon coarse kosher salt*
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon garlic powdered

1/2 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
1/2 tablespoon ground coriander seed

Pumpkin Pie Spice

Essential now that autumn is here, use this spice blend for anything with pumpkin in it.

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1½ teaspoon ground allspice
1½ teaspoon ground cloves
¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg

Taco Seasoning

For any dish you want to give that Tex-Mex flavor, this seasoning will do the trick. To increase or decrease the amount of “hot” in the spice, reduce or increase the amount of red pepper.

2 tablespoons chili powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt*

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

Old Bay

This classic New England spice is used primarily for seafood, chicken, and French fries.

1 tablespoon bay leaf powder

2 tablespoon celery salt

1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon paprika

1 1/2 teaspoons mustard powder

1 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoons ground white pepper

1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoons ground cloves

1/8 teaspoons ground allspice

1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoons ground mace

1/4 teaspoons ground cardamom

Ranch Dressing Mix

To turn this spice blend into Ranch dressing, just mix 2 tablespoons of the mix with 1 cup of mayo and 1 cup of buttermilk. You can also try using sour cream or yogurt in place of the milk. To turn this spice blend into a great dip for veggies, just blend 1 tablespoon of the mix with 1 cup of sour cream. In both cases, it’s best to mix the ingredients together and chill for several hours before serving.

1 cup dried minced onions
7 tablespoon parsley flakes
4 tablespoons coarse sea salt*
1 tablespoon garlic powder

* Unrefined sea or kosher salt may be substituted with ordinary table salt, but because it measures out differently, much less should be used or the end result will be too salty – and too high in sodium.

Posted by on September 20, 2012.

Tags:

Categories: Cooking, Recipes

11 Responses

1. Not only is this a cheaper tip, but I live in Europe, these spice blends cannot be found, esp. chili, taco and pumpkin blends. Now I can make my own. Thanks so much.

by Jammie on Sep 20, 2012 at 3:00 pm

2. I would like to try Pumpkin Pie Spice, looks so easy and I do have lots of pumpkins in my backyard… Good thing I found this article … and I would like to surprise my children on their up coming backyard party this Saturday! I am sure they would love this!

by silvia on Sep 20, 2012 at 4:06 pm

3. I really love this kind of blogs. The recipes were very interesting. I am very much exciting in the ranch dressing mix. I will try doing this one some time. And also the old bay, it appeals great. I should also try this.

by Cathy on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:52 am

4. Good thing you do have this Taco Seasoning … I am already bored with my usual taco seasoning … Let me try this!

by amanda on Sep 21, 2012 at 3:04 pm

5. I always was interested in this topic and stock still am, thanks for posting.

by good articles on Sep 21, 2012 at 6:38 pm

6. I just wonder what is the difference between Ranch Dressing Mix to Montreal Steak Seasoning? Both can be used in meat recipes … I’ll just try them both to see the difference!

by khrizzy on Sep 22, 2012 at 9:43 am

7. Making used of spices in your cuisines is good thing … it really enhances the flavor of each ingredients and produces a mouth watering aroma! Love this article!

by candies on Sep 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

8. Adding spices and seasoning in your cuisines are really great … Thanks for the additional recipes of exciting seasoning that you’ve shared Kristine… It is really awesome!

by yvette on Sep 24, 2012 at 1:37 pm

9. DIY Spice blends … I don’t what’s their secret in making your recipe taste really great! Thanks for your informative post! i appreciate it so much Kristina.

by savannah on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:19 pm

10. I agree with you Yvette. It’s really more fun if we are doing it on our own taste. It improves our creativity in cooking as well.

by cathy on Sep 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

11. I don’t really enjoy hot and spicy food, but since I’ve read this and tried the DIY spice blends and those recipes and add it to some of your recipes … it turns out really good … even my hubby requested some more … thanks for your bright ideas Kristina!

by emma on Sep 26, 2012 at 2:06 pm